vCapacity is a high-performance real-time microburst measurement capability for VSS Distributed Traffic Capture Systems™ (DTCS) that provides sub-millisecond visibility into network performance. With the introduction of vCapacity, VSS becomes the only traffic capture vendor providing both real-time packet-level visibility as well as bit-level metadata for monitoring and security tools.
vCapacity samples one or multiple network links at millisecond intervals at speeds up to 10 GigE and records on a millisecond timescale. Unlike any other approach, vCapacity measures traffic at the bit level and at full line rate, right at the point of connection, independent of switch SPAN ports, traditional TAPs, or high-speed capture cards.
The vCapacity Advantage
vCapacity's low-level view allows granular utilization data to be gathered in real time and made available to latency and high-performance network analyzers, without requiring separate TAPs and/or capture cards.
vCapacity records per-millisecond quanta, timestamps them at one-second intervals, and stores them for one-minute periods for retrieval by a network analyzer or other tool. Each one-second record includes an average as well as the minimum and maximum millisecond utilization quanta for that second. The timestamp can be used to correlate port data across ports and to discard unwanted seconds.
- Plan for dynamic capacity allocation.
- Identify potential bottlenecks and problem areas.
- Ensure systems can handle peak traffic loads.
- Achieve lower latency.
- Obtain historical data for capacity reviews.
- Observe existence and characteristics of microbursts.
- Pinpoint the location of microbursts and other problems.
- Improve stability.
- Reduce budgetary constraints; budget upgrades ahead of time.
- Maximize planning efficiency.