7 Top Picks
25 Hours of Research
20 Options Considered
As a student, you need to prepare for the fast life on campus. You need a decent HP laptop that can handle basic usage, such as typing, browsing, and researching.
Additionally, the HP laptop should have a clear webcam, audio system, and enough RAM to ensure it doesn’t freeze. Enough internal storage is crucial to keep your learning materials for later use. The battery life shouldn't be negotiable.
This article looks at the best laptops for college students. We will also go through a buyer’s guide, focusing on what to consider when purchasing an HP laptop. So, let’s get started!
3 Top HP Laptops For Students
Taking the first spot is the HP Chromebook 14 laptop. As a student, I need a laptop to carry out basic tasks like sending emails, typing assignments, researching, reading online books, and watching a bit of Netflix.
Taking the second spot is the latest addition to the HP x360 line of HP laptops. Everything about the HP Envy x360 15.6-inch laptop looks professional, and you can tell it’s designed with creatives in mind.
Another product from the Envy line, HP Envy 13, is a laptop every student should have. Designed for performance and with amazing features like the Core i5 processor, there’s very little you cannot do with this laptop, and that’s why it’s taking the third spot on our list.
Best HP Laptops For Students Reviews
Taking the first spot is this HP's 14-inch laptop. As a student, I need a laptop to carry out basic tasks like sending emails, writing assignments, researching, reading online books, and watching Netflix.
HP Chromebook 14 has the features to support all this without exhausting the resources.
HP Chromebook 14 Laptop Features
- The laptop has 4 GB RAM, which boosts the system’s performance to ensure everything runs smoothly without freezing or lagging when opening several applications. I never experienced heat-related problems like when using a 2 GB RAM HP laptop. The RAM capabilities ensured I ran several apps simultaneously without affecting the laptop’s performance.
- The laptop also has 32GB storage, allowing me to save most of my school documents and projects. Also, this storage is upgradeable, giving me room to secure larger storage space.
- It has a Dual-Core Intel Celeron n4020 Processor with enough system resources to handle my busy days. HP laptops with Intel processors are famous for their speed and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. A processor capability and type should be at the top of your list when selecting a student's laptop. The computer doesn't draw too much power, improving the battery life.
- Crystal-Clear HD Display and Stereo Sound - The 14 inches HD display brings the videos to life and is perfect for spotting minor details or binge-watching your favorite shows. It’s also perfect for a video call or attending online classes. The stereo speakers enhance the audio quality, especially if you don’t want to use headphones. HP Chromebook has one of the best HD displays for computers in its class.
- Light Gaming - The HP Chromebook 14 might not be your ideal high-end laptop, but the Intel UHD Graphics 600 ensures it has enough resources to handle 4K streaming and light gaming. When you’re done with classes and have a few hours to spare, you can play your favorite PC game conveniently. The gaming capability makes this the best laptop for students. HP Chromebook should fit well for college students who don't require many resources.
Dual-Core Intel Celeron n4020 Processor
Intel UHD Graphics 600
8.6 x 12.8 x 0.7 inches
Taking the second spot is the latest addition to the HP x360 line of HP laptops. Everything about the HP Envy x360 15.6-inch laptop looks professional, and you can tell it’s designed with creatives in mind. If you’re a content creator or your studies require a resource-heavy laptop, you’ll benefit greatly from buying HP laptops for college students. The battery life is also another advantage of using this touchscreen laptop.
HP Envy x360 15.6-inch laptop Features
- A Sleek Futuristic Design - I was impressed with this laptop's elegant design. The HP Envy x360 15.6-inch doubles up as a tablet thanks to the 360-degree hinge that helps to rotate the screen around. The touchscreen technology allows you to interact with the screen without needing the keyboard. The feature comes in handy when operating in tight spaces, like on a bus, or when you don’t want to use the keyboard.
- It's also very light, making it one of the best portable laptops of its class.
- 16 GB RAM and 512 GB Internal Storage -The impressive RAM allowed me to run complex projects like video editing without experiencing glitches. I could also use multiple resource-heavy apps simultaneously without the computer freezing. The internal space was more than enough to keep large files like videos without worrying about running out of space. If you want the best HP laptop for your school work, then this is it.
- 11th Gen Intel Processor - If you’re like me, you already know how important a processor is to a computer. The HP Envy x360 is equipped with the 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1195G7 2.90GHz Processor for optimal performance. The Quad Core capabilities ensure your computer can perform complex tasks without experiencing delays or exploiting the resources. Video editing is easy with the Intel Core i7.
- You’ll love this computer if you’re someone who enjoys editing videos. It should be on your list of the best laptop for college students.
- The Intel Iris Xe Integrated Graphics - Do you enjoy playing graphics-heavy games? Try the HP Envy x360, which has the latest Intel Iris Xe integrated graphics. The result is a smooth and crisp gaming experience where you can see all the details clearly.
- Improved Security and Accessories - Forget using passwords to protect your computer. The HP Envy x360 comes equipped with fingerprint technology for top-level security. Besides locking your computer, you can use this security system to lock files and folders to ensure total privacy.
- The active pen comes in handy if you’re artistic like me. I found the digital pen useful in creating doodles and other sketches. HP Envy x360 is a must-have if you’re an art student.
11th Gen Intel Core i7-1195G7
Intel Iris Xe Integrated Graphics
14.09 x 9.06 x 0.74 inches
Another product from the Envy line, HP Envy 13, is a laptop every student should have. Designed for performance and with amazing features like the Core i5 processor, there’s very little you cannot do with this 13-inch laptop, and that’s why it’s taking the third spot on our list.
HP Envy 13 Full-HD Laptop Features
8 GB RAM - You already know how important RAM is to a computer. 8 GB of RAM is more than enough to execute basic and advanced tasks experiencing no drawbacks. You’ll also find that many applications recommend at least 8 GB RAM to run effectively.
The 256 GB SSD storage also comes in handy when storing extensive files, running complex projects, and keeping your school work safe. You can also partition the hard disc to protect some files. The RAM and hard disc make this one of HP's business laptops.
Intel Core i5 Intel Processor - Take full advantage of the speedy Intel Core i5 8250U processor. The all-purpose chips come in handy when gaming, browsing, streaming via laptop, and running demanding applications. If you’re someone who likes installing and trying new PC games and applications, then this laptop is for you. You won’t experience any downtime or freezing problems when using this computer.
Intel UHD Graphics 620 - Play your favorite PC games without sacrificing graphics or gameplay experience, all thanks to the Intel UHD Graphics 620. Immerse yourself in the virtual experience where details matter. If you enjoy gaming, then this is the best HP laptop for that purpose.
13.3-inch HD Display - Enjoy your movies and gaming experience on a 13.3-inch HD display without missing anything. The screen lighting is perfect for gaming, with the HD capabilities ensuring video quality doesn't compromise. I give this my seal of approval as one of the best laptops for college students.
Intel Core i5 8250U processor
Intel UHD Graphics 620
12.09 x 8.35 x 0.59 inches
If you’re looking for a cutting-edge laptop capable of handling many tasks simultaneously without exhausting the resources, then HP Envy 13 - 13 inches thin laptop is the best option. Coming from the elite line of HP Envy, you’re guaranteed nothing but the best performance and premium features like a backlit keyboard.
HP Envy 13 - 13.99 Inches Thin Laptop Features
16 GB RAM - The laptop has an impressive 16 GB RAM, which is perfect for complex tasks and high performance. You won’t have to worry about lagging or freezing issues, allowing you to complete your tasks on time.
The 512 GB hard disc offers more space for storing extensive files like edited videos. You don’t need an additional external storage device or worry about losing your work, making this the best laptop for college students.
Excellent Processor - Unlock the full potential of the 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565u processor. If that’s not enough, HP has included the Intel Turbo Boost Technology (8 MB Cache) to boost performance and improve productivity. Think of this technology as a record-breaking athlete on steroids. You can only expect the best performance here.
Cutting-edge Security - Keep your files and work secure and private using the integrated fingerprint scanner. The security system ensures the device stays locked and cannot be hacked, making it hard for intruders to access your data.
Additionally, the webcam kill switch ensures no one can hack or commandeer your computer and spy on you. You can set when the webcam should be on and the applications that can access the webcam to prevent someone from accessing it.
4K Display - Watch your favorite movies or play your games on a crystal-clear display. You’ll love the way the monitor captures all the details, immersing you in a breathtaking virtual experience. The 8.2 million pixels and 178-degree viewing angle are perfect for graphics-rich movies and games. It's actually one of the best HP gaming laptops available today.
8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565u processor
NVIDIA GeForce MX250 Graphics
13.3 x 8.9 x 0.9 inches
If you’re looking for a budget laptop but decent enough to handle basic school-related projects, then the HP Stream 14-inch Laptop is your ideal choice. Although not a high-end laptop, it still has impressive features for a computer of its class. You can rely on it for basic tasks like sending emails, note-taking, researching your assignments, typing, and binge-watching Netflix. Here’s why you should consider this laptop:
HP Stream 14-inch Laptop Features
- A Decent Processor - Although it doesn’t have one of the best processors in the market, the Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 Processor is powerful enough to keep the machine running normal tasks. It combines with the Dual-Core to improve performance, and the laptop can handle simple gaming without freezing.
- Microsoft 360 Suit - Take advantage of the 1-year offer of the impressive Microsoft 360 suit for your school projects. The inclusion of the Microsoft 360 package saves you the money you’d have spent buying the package.
- Additionally, you get a 1 TB OneDrive storage access for a year to keep your files and work safely on the cloud. All these features are perfect for college students.
- Impressive Design - There might be no standout feature in the design, but the manufacturer has included a decent design for a laptop of its class. It’s also slim and light enough to fit into average laptop backpack.
- Free Windows 10 OS - Windows 10 is one of the stabler operating systems around. You can now unleash the OS's true potential, improving productivity and performance. The free OS ensures you don’t pay for a license, at least for a year.
- HD 14-inch Display - I loved the display, which is bright enough, thanks to the HD SVA WLED backlight. The 1366 x 768 display offers an HD experience where you can catch all the graphics.
64 GB eMMC
Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 Processor
1366 x 768
13.27 x 8.9 x 0.7 inches
If you need a laptop on the high end in price and performance, then the HP Pavilion 14” HD Notebook is a perfect match. Equipped with the latest technology and accessories, like 1TB internal storage, you’re guaranteed nothing but the best performance. Here are a few reasons you should buy this laptop:
HP Pavilion 14” HD Notebook Features
- 8 GB DDR4 RAM - Take full advantage of the 8 GB RAM that enables you to handle complex tasks like video editing and high-end gaming without crashing or freezing. A good deal of software and gaming companies have set an industry standard of 8 GB RAM to run the programs effectively. HP Pavilion is decent enough for college students operating on a budget.
- The 1 TB internal storage capacity provides you with more than enough space to store any type of file.
- A Great Processor - The 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7200U Processor boosts performances and can comfortably handle resource-intensive projects like video editing. If you’re a content creator or fancy playing PC games, you'll love this computer. The 3.1 GHz processor speed comes in handy when rendering 3d videos or loading games, making HP Pavilion equipped for resource-heavy tasks.
- Impeccable Graphics - Bring your gaming experience to life by utilizing the HP Pavilion Intel HD Graphics 620. The impressive graphics card ensures you don’t miss any details, and you’re likely to experience the difference when you try the same game on another laptop.
- 14-inch HD Display and Sound System - The 1366 x 768 display offers an HD experience, allowing you to enjoy your favorite movies, music, or gaming. The SVA Brightview WLED-backlit display comes to life by showing the graphics and effects as they should be, providing you with an immersive laptop sound experience.
- The stereo audio system ensures you have clear and HD sound output if you don’t prefer using headphones. You’ll find the HP Pavilion to be a perfect laptop for video conferencing or online classes, making it one of the best laptops for school work.
- Sleek Design - HP Pavilion has improved the design of its PC, making it light enough to carry. They’ve also added a stylish look, and it’s easy to distinguish this laptop easily. The smooth casing with the ‘HP’ logo stands out, giving your computer a unique appearance.
Intel Core i5-7200U Processor
Intel HD Graphics 620
13.2 x 0.8 x 9.2 inches
If you run a busy school schedule that requires using a laptop every day, then the HP 15.6” laptop is what you need. The computer is built for optimal performance and comes with some amazing features. Given the price range, I was more impressed by how the computer performed. In my opinion, it’s a total steal, and you should consider having one. Here are a few benefits of owning this computer.
HP 15.6” laptop Features
A Decent Processor - The Intel Pentium Silver N5000 processor equips the computer with more than enough performance capabilities, making it perfect for daily use. You can now work on those assignments, attend online classes, and binge-watch your favorite shows without having to deal with drawbacks like low lagging.
4 GB RAM - I discovered the computer was powerful enough for multitasking, although it only had 4 GB RAM. I was able to run resource-heavy apps like Adobe In-Design effortlessly. The 128 GB hard disc offers more than enough space for keeping your files. You can also partition it to have multiple storage spaces for added security.
Impressive Video Chatting Capabilities - You’ll love this computer if you have to attend online classes or regular Zoom meetings. The HP TrueVision HD camera ensures crystal-clear video transmission. Combining that with integrated dual-array digital microphones and you have a great video chatting experience with HD video and clear audio.
15.6 Diagonal HD Brightview Display - The HD display ensures you get clear videos when watching a movie or playing a PC game. Forget about poor graphics that make you question technology. You’ll get a near-life experience when gaming on this laptop without exhausting resources.
Intel Pentium Silver N5000 processor
Intel® UHD Graphics 605
14.11 x 9.53 x 0.78 Inches
What to Consider When Buying an HP Laptop for Students
When buying an HP laptop for students, consider the following factors.
RAM and Internal Storage Capabilities
The computer’s RAM determines its performance and speed, and that’s why it should be your priority. RAM ensures that you can multitask, like editing pictures, browsing the internet, and doing other random tasks without the computer freezing or delaying operations.
A good laptop for a student should have at least 4 GB RAM. However, to realize the best experience, I recommend 8GB RAM or higher. This memory lets me manage resource-intensive programs efficiently.
The storage capacity determines how many files and folders your computer can store. I recommend 128GB SSD storage for students.
The Central Processing Unit (CPU) is the heart of your laptop. It determines how fast and efficiently your laptop functions. Many HP laptops have Intel Core Processors. Below are the available options:
- Intel Core i3 is found in entry-level laptops.
- Intel Core i5 is popular in mid-range computers.
- Intel Core i7, which is popular in high-end computers.
However, I recommend an Intel Core i5 laptop as it has a high processing power, ensuring I run operations smoothly without slowdowns. Intel Core i7 laptop has an even better experience.
Laptops stand out from their desktop counterparts due to their portability, made possible by rechargeable batteries. Battery life is crucial as it determines how long you can use the laptop without needing to recharge.
A new laptop should have a battery life of at least 10 hours until the next recharge. However, you should expect the battery life to decline as the laptop ages. Ensure you know about the laptop’s battery life before buying one.
As a student, you should buy a laptop with an HD display. Alternatively, opting for a 1920 x 1080 resolution display is perfect for optimal performance.
Screen size is another issue to consider. You’ll find many entry-level laptops with standard 14” displays, which is more than enough for school work. However, 15” displays are becoming popular in recent years.
Graphics display is crucial as you’ll be spending most of your time staring at the screen. Choose a laptop with smooth graphics that won’t harm your eyes.
Although old-model laptops were famous for their sheer size and weight, modern laptops are the opposite of this.
Ensure you choose a light device you can carry around and can fit in your backpack or handbag. An ideal lightweight laptop should weigh less than 3 pounds.
A laptop’s price is one of the indicators of its efficiency, although some affordable laptops have high performance, just like high-end laptops. Note that if you opt for a high-end laptop, you should be ready to spend a fortune.
As a student, you should choose a laptop within your budget.
Which HP Laptop Is Best for a Student?
The best HP laptop for a student is one with a proper RAM of at least 4GB and internal storage of at least 128 GB. A basic Core i3 would work, although it’s always best to upgrade to Core i5 or i7.
Which Series of HP Laptops is Best?
The best HP series laptops include HP Pavilion, HP Envy x360, HP Chromebook, HP Spectre x360 14, and HP Elite Dragonfly. However, you’ll find other series with excellent performances or impressive features.
Are Chromebooks Good for College?
Yes. Chromebooks are good for college, especially if you’re only doing light tasks like browsing, researching and writing assignments, and sending emails. It’s also good for watching movies but cannot handle heavy tasks like video and photo editing.
What Kind of Battery Life to Expect from an HP Laptop?
HP laptops have an impressive battery lifespan, with many lasting at least 10 hours. However, you’ll also find some with a 7-hours lifespan before recharging. Ensure you check the battery life cycle of an HP laptop before buying.
Why Buy a Student Laptop?
You should buy a student laptop to do your daily school work, including assignments, and research work, and access additional study resources on the internet. With more classes nowadays done online, my student laptop will help me attend such classes with ease.
A laptop also comes in handy when working on projects like website design. You can also use it to find online gigs for additional side income.
Watching your favorite movies and video communications are other benefits of getting a laptop. An Intel Core i7 laptop is the best option, as it can handle even complex tasks.