I understand that you're a gaming fan, plus you love the features and power the PS4 gaming console provides; high-resolution gameplay, hundreds of titles to choose whether you enjoy action games, strategic games, rampage, or killing zombies.
However, if you're like me, you don't have an available screen at home to freely enjoy since someone is always using it for Tv shows, etc. Now you're wondering how to play PS4 on a laptop screen because playing the PS4 using a laptop screen guarantees independence from waiting for the home screen TV.
Laptop As A Monitor for Sony PS4 Console
To use your laptop as the monitor for Sony PS4 (see 'Best Gaming Monitors for PS4' here) involves a complex process, and it's not as easy as connecting your gaming console through HDMI cable to the laptop. The good news is the process is possible if your laptop's compatible with video input for playing PS4 games, which is not the case for most laptops.
Therefore, for the process to be effective, your laptop needs to be compatible with video input for you to play PS4 games. Being consistent with video input for you to enjoy PS4 games makes your computer accessible to use as your monitor for PS4. That's because the HDMI connection is one-directional and won't support a duplet link since the HDMI ports on the laptop and the PS4 are output links meaning you can't connect the two and get output on your laptop screen.
There are two ways to follow and acquire the connection that enables you to use your laptop screen as the monitor for PS4 games; using a capture card and HDMI.
Laptop As Monitor for PS4 Using Capture Card
You can connect your laptop as a monitor to your console through video capture cards. You'll first equip your gadget for setting through acquiring all the equipment required. To build the system, you need your laptop, ethernet (see the best cables out there) or WIFI connection, a video Acquisition device, internet connection (get a fast internet connection with a help of this article), compatibility for file sharing, plus an HDMI cable.
- First, in the PS4 menu setting tabs, turn the file-sharing option to find network settings through your network to access the internet connection.
- After having the connection, begin streaming between the two items. Afterward, through the USB port, attach your video capture card to the laptop because capture cards have an installation suite program that's easy to set up after installing.
- Join your PS4 console to the video card through an s-video connection available at your local retail store. Ensure that you connect the HDMI-out to the PS4 gaming while the HDMI-in to the video capture card.
- After connecting your PS4 console to the video capture card to the capture, please turn on your PS4 and run the software, auto-tracking the console to display it on your laptop screen. You can now enjoy your gaming.
How to Use Laptop as Monitor for PS4 With HDMI
The PS4 console has Sony Remote Play, a tool for streaming any PS4 game to your laptop. That tool enables a PS4 remote connection for you to enjoy your games smoothly. For this method, you require your PS4 gaming console, a wireless Dualshock-4 USB adaptor or USB cable, your laptop, and a PlayStation platform account, plus a high-speed internet connection.
Before you start the process, arrange the liquid crystal display screen before setting it since you'll need it for some PS4 console settings. To use your laptop for PS4 with HDMI, follow these steps;
- First, download the latest remote play app version from Sony's website. The app should be compatible with your Windows or Mac laptop's operating system.
- After installation, switch on your PS4 console settings to allow a Remote Play connection. Through activating your PS4 or leaving it on resting mode, you'll access your high-speed network games from your console. Since your console may not be on rest mode by default, you may set it to rest mode through the power save settings.
- In this step, you'll connect the gaming controller with your laptop using a USB cable. To do that, toggle the Enable turning on to run the PS4 gaming console through the network. Afterward, turn on your laptop the remote application and locate remote play connection settings within the application, then an ideal screen resolution like 720p.
- You can now connect the controller and laptop by plugging in the wireless USB adapter and then push it for a moment. You'll notice the start button in the Remote Play application; click the start button, after which the software takes you to the PlayStation login screen. At the PlayStation login screen, the remote play app automatically chooses your ps4. You can now happily stream PS4 games on your laptop monitor.
Must I Use Remote Play to Play PS4 Games on My Laptop?
No, you don't have to use remote play. As pointed above, to get games on your laptop as the monitor, you can use two methods; HDMI and video capture card.
When you use the HDMI route, you must connect through the remote play app. However, if you join the video capture card, you don't have to download the Remote Play app. You can follow the steps outlined in the first process discussed above.
Does the PS4 Run on a Laptop Smoothly?
First, you cannot play ps4 games through your laptop unless you use it as the monitor. To use your laptop as a monitor requires you to use either an HDMI or video capture card.
That means you can technically play your PS4 "on" your laptop by installing PlayStation Remote Play and connecting it to your PS4. That gives you access to your PS4 games through your pc, the same as PS Vita. Bear in mind that this process requires a strong internet connection to reduce or eliminate the overall lag between the controller and your laptop.
How Do I Know if My Laptop Has an HDMI Input or Output?
HDMI input on computers is scarce to find because of the complexities of getting it right. Laptops get built in a very particular way regarding their video input. They cannot receive a video signal from any other source other than the motherboard.
All laptops have output only when it comes to video, HDMI, or VGA. Simply because the only input the laptop display has, is connected to the chipset of your laptop. Unless you take your computer apart and connect the screen directly, your laptop will be output-based only, as far as its connectors are concerned. Therefore, not many laptops have HDMI input, but most have an HDMI output.
In conclusion, there are two methods to allow you to use your laptop as a monitor for PS4; HDMI and Video capture cards. Using an HDMI requires your laptop to have HDMI input, which is rare, plus downloading the Remote Play app while using a video capture card requires you to connect your pc and your console. For further guidance, check out online tutorials concerning the two methods.