If you are looking for an antivirus that you can rely on, choose Kaspersky. This is one of the renowned security companies trusted by millions of people. It has a powerful defense system against all sorts of threats.
In this Kaspersky free antivirus review, I will discuss its pros/cons, pricing features so you can decide if it is the right solution for your needs or not. This review is based on my vast experience with security solutions.
I ran several tests on its malware protection, system impact, and false alarm. It earned a perfect rating in all of these trials. I recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable and reliable security solution.
You can check how Kaspersky compares to other antiviruses here.
Our Recommended Choice
There is another product in the cybersecurity market that has blown our minds away due to its extensive security packages tailored to meet most if not all your needs! That antivirus is McAfee! With McAfee, their security teams have kept track of over 63 million pieces of malware information to tailor their features to defeating the evolving virus attacks.
Using McAfee will give you a peace of mind that ensures your online and offline safety. To check out their security programs, click here!
Kaspersky Review: Antivirus Detailed Expert Overview
Kaspersky antivirus is among the most reliable security solutions we have in the market right now. Whether you want to surf the internet, shop, and bank online, video call friends, you can be assured that you will receive world-class protection.
This security company was founded in 1997 by Eugene Kaspersky, his wife Natalya Kaspersky, and Alexey De-mandarin. Eugene Kaspersky became interested in computer security when his PC became infected with the Cascade virus.
It is headquartered in Russia. This company has grown tremendously and has over 400 million users currently.
It has many features that you will love.
It comes with a VPN service, a password manager, it is lightweight, comes with apps for android and iOS devices, and has all the necessary tools to protect your data and many other features that I will discuss here. Why not checking out our in depth antivirus with VPN reviews?
Stay safe with Kaspersky anti-virus
The internet is a dangerous place if you do not have security software installed. Criminals are always producing all kinds of malware that spread through email, files, or spam sites.
To help stay safe, have a virus protection software.
Kaspersky Antivirus Security Features
Besides being a trusted business antivirus software, it is is a security solution that comes with a bucketful of features and they include the following:
- Contains all the tools to protect local area networks and computers. It comes with a network attack blocker that checks for suspicious activities in your network
- It comes with a VPN service. There is free and paid VPN service
- You will get a password manager
- It is lightweight hence will not slow the performance of your laptop and other devices once installed
- Comes with a privacy cleaner that wipes all records of your computer permanently making them inaccessible by hackers
- It automatically updates to protect your devices against new threats
- It gives access to multiple scans such as full scan, quick scan, customizable scan, vulnerability scan, just to mention a few
- Offers world-class protection against ransomware, viruses, Trojans
- Offers data backup on the desktop, my documents, etc.
- You will get a password manager that you can store your passwords and other sensitive information. It will create strong passwords for you plus automatically log you into your sites thus saving your effort and time.
- It comes with protection for PC, android, and iOS devices. You can secure all these devices under 1 license.
- Filter phishing emails so you don’t get tricked by scammers
- It offers webcam protection. It will stop hackers from spying you in your home
- You will get a secure vault where you can store your sensitive files.
- It is an ideal security solution for your kids. It will protect kids from harmful content, online threats, and can view their location with GPS.
I use Kaspersky and am always impressed with its performance. One time I happened to visit a certain site that was used to spread viruses. I downloaded a bad file and along with it came with a virus.
I got instant notification from Kaspersky and am lucky the antivirus was able to act on it before it could do harm to my laptop.
Stay safe at work and at home with Kaspersky antivirus. Malware is a collective name for a code developed by cyber attackers such as spyware, virus, ransomware, etc. They are created to steal data, damage devices, or gain unauthorized access to a network.
For over 20 years, this security company has gained popularity for fighting against cybercrime and malware. Kaspersky scans, blocks, and safely removes viruses, ransomware, spyware, Trojan, etc. so you can surf the internet, shop, and bank online safely.
It uses artificial intelligence to identify and block all malware. It runs in the background removing all threats so your personal computer and devices can run smoothly.
Kaspersky Cloud Protection
It is worth noting that this online security company comes with cloud virus protection. This means that it utilizes cloud computing to provide protection.
In other words, you will not need to download or host antivirus in your devices but instead will get from their cloud-based server. You will get many benefits from Kaspersky cloud protection.
Your devices will not get slowed down because you have a large antivirus installed, will protect and manage different devices under 1 license.
It is best for;
- Users that are looking for basic and full protection
- Small, medium and large companies
- For homeowners that want to protect their kids
- For personal computer and other devices such as Android, Mac, webcam
- Individual users
Get your passwords and sensitive data secured in one place with the Kaspersky password manager. With all these features, it is no wonder it is ranked 1 by everyone.
A password manager is a software that manages your passwords and other important information.
This info is stored in an encrypted database. This will make your life easier since you do not have to remember passwords for your different online accounts.
It also creates strong passwords that you can use for various online accounts. Kaspersky’s password manager functions the same. It offers you a secure digital vault for your passwords and other information.
Digital vault to store passwords and personal data
Please note that you can store your personal data such as driver’s license, bank card, passport, birth certificate, business operating agreement, and other information in this digital vault.
Additionally, it auto-fills your login details when you visit your favorite sites. Only you have access to this vault since you will be needed to create a master password or use a fingerprint to secure it.
Internet safety is crucial when shopping or banking online. This is because there are so many hackers online whose goal is to steal money and credit card information from people who have not protected themselves.
Kaspersky antivirus free or premium is able to protect you from these online hackers. It comes with a safe money feature that will protect your online financial transactions from attacks.
When you open your bank site, Kaspersky will check if you have opened a genuine site or not. It will request you to open your bank site in a protected browser, verify its certificate plus scan your computer for any malware that may steal your banking details.
No more risks associated with paying and shopping online when you use this antivirus software. You will be protected against rootkits, screenshot taking of your payment details, phishing, and input interception.
Secure Connection VPN with antivirus Kaspersky
Safeguard your privacy with Kaspersky VPN. Virtual private networks or VPN is a service that lets you explore the internet privately and securely. It is more important than ever to go on the internet without being monitored, identified, or tracked.
This antivirus delivers the same. If you want to surf the web or shop online without being monitored, just use Kaspersky VPN technology. This security company offers free VPN services though this version comes with limitations such as no wide range of countries to select from.
If you want premium protection with various countries to select from, buy its monthly or annual subscription. Both will:
- Protect your privacy and data
- Protect you on public Wi-Fi
- Allow you to access the content of different countries
- Protect your communication
- It will protect you while socializing, watching your favorite movies, surfing the web, or shopping online.
Prevent identity theft plus protect your privacy with a privacy cleaner. A privacy cleaner is designed to clean not just browsing history and downloads but also permanently delete all files and wipe drives clean.
It will delete desktop apps, DNS cache, and start menu in such a way they cannot be recovered again. Kaspersky privacy cleaner comes with the following advantages:
- Monitors against windows and apps recording your activities
- Will clean up traces of your activities on your computer. This includes your internet activity such as visited sites, saved passwords, downloaded files, system activity such as system caches, registry traces, removed and installed programs, personal activity such as personal opened documents, and program traces.
- Can customize a cleaning and let you clean specific areas of your laptop or devices
- It also has settings that you can use to disable windows tracking and logging functions
This will make sure that your digital footprints stay protected and are not revealed to malicious people. To run the privacy cleaner wizard:
- Open Kaspersky main menu
- Click the More Tools button
- Navigate to the left part of the Tools and you will see Privacy cleaner. Follow its series of steps to clean up traces of your computer’s activity.
Kaspersky Antivirus Plans and Pricing
Kaspersky offers various pricing packages to suit different categories of people. The packages are:
1. Kaspersky Antivirus- Essential PC antivirus
This package costs $29.99 for 1 PC for 1 year.
1PC 2 years is $41.24
3PCs 1 year is $56.99
3 PCs 2 years is 479.49
This is an essential PC antivirus that will protect you against cryptocurrency mining malware and viruses. Your system performance will also be increased.
2. Kaspersky Internet Security-Advanced security suite
It costs $44.99 for 1 device for 1 year
1 device for 2 yrs. costs $62.24
3 devices 1 year costs $59.99
5 devices 1 year costs $74.99
For more information about their pricing, visit their official site through the links given in this article. In this package, you will get advanced security for all of your devices such as Mac, PC, windows, and android.
It will protect you from malware, speed up the performance of your devices, and blocks phishing and hackers from accessing your webcam.
3. Kaspersky Total Security-Premium security Suite
It costs $59.99 for 1 device for a year.
1 Device 2 years costs $82.49
3 devices 1 year costs $74.99
3 devices 2 years costs $104.99
This is a plan that offers everything that you will need to secure your business or home.
It has plenty of parental control options, will manage and protect your passwords, and you can back up your precious files and photos in this package, offers protection against malware, will protect your online transactions, secures your webcams from hijackers, will protect all your devices and safeguard against malware.
Free Kaspersky Antivirus-30 Days Trial
You can get Kaspersky free antivirus for 30 days. Use this opportunity to test its protection for your personal computer and your other mobile devices.
Good Basic Protection: Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Kaspersky Anti-virus is the basic protection package. It will safeguard you against ransomware, viruses, and other online threats but do not have advanced features offered in the other packages such as webcam protection, support of different devices, password management, file protection, and parental control features.
Most Value for the Money: Kaspersky Internet Security
Kaspersky internet security offers the most value for the money. This is because it comes with extra features plus advanced security for all of your devices. Features for this package include the following;
If you are looking for a package that will provide a range of security options for your mobiles, desktop, or tablets, choose this one. It is ideal for families, small and large businesses.
It will safeguard you against all online threats such as ransomware, Trojans, spyware, and ransomware. There are terrible people online who create malware with the intent of stealing sensitive information or creating havoc.
Protect yourself from these malicious people with the best antivirus. You will no longer have to worry about nasty malware infecting your laptop and other devices.
Webcams are vulnerable to hacking, just like any other device you have at home or office. They can be used by malicious people to spy on you or use the hacked webcam as a getaway for delivering additional malware.
Secure your webcam and maintain privacy with Kaspersky internet security.
Is Kaspersky Total Security Worth the Upgrade?
Kaspersky’s total security is worth the upgrade. It is the only package that offers total security for your devices and online activities. It will provide the ultimate level of protection from malware, spyware, phishing attacks, and other threats.
Kaspersky’s internet security enables you to change to Kaspersky’s total security without any problems. Their premium security suite contains powerful parental controls to protect your kids and guard family privacy.
It also guards your identity while shopping or banking online safeguards your sensitive information and offers VPN services. Here are its advance features in details:
Kaspersky Antivirus Ease-of-Use
If you're looking for a lightweight, powerful, and easy to use antivirus solution, Kaspersky is an excellent option. It is compatible with all operating systems such as Mac, Windows, and mobile devices.
Downloading and installing Kaspersky is very quick and easy. With a few mouse clicks, it will be ready for its initial scan. The first time that you run Kaspersky antivirus, you will be guided through some of its main features and this is really good so you can get to know the platform before starting to use it in full.
The Kaspersky antivirus is known as one of the most user-friendly security solutions available in the market. Most of what you will need is right there on the main screen including parental controls, database update, backup and restore, and many more features.
From my experience, it is easy to schedule monthly, weekly or daily scans. You can set scans to run on the background or have them run when the system is locked. You can run Kaspersky even when working and you will not notice any system slowdown.
Kaspersky Antivirus Mobile App
Kaspersky has mobile apps for both Mac and Android devices. Safeguard your mobile devices (smartphones or tablets) from cyber-attack by installing Kaspersky’s antivirus mobile app.
Use this program to stop malware before it infects your mobile devices. It is free and premium Kaspersky internet security for Android.
They offer the following features:
- Real-time protection. Both free and premium versions come with advanced security that will safeguard you from visiting malicious websites that steal data.
- Whether you are browsing the internet or shopping online, you will always be safe from cyber-attacks.
- App lock lets you lock your contacts, calls, and messages from intruders using a secret code, pin, fingerprint, or security pattern. Set code for accessing your private data and protecting your personal information in case you lose your device.
- Anti-theft helps you to track and locate your device when it is lost or stolen. If you can't locate it, you can remotely wipe data to prevent someone from accessing it. Furthermore, with an Android smartwatch, you can manage the Kaspersky antivirus mobile app remotely, receive threat notifications, and execute voice commands.
Kaspersky's security solution is designed to protect and secure your devices without interrupting the user. Automatic program updates ensure your antivirus is always up to date.
Kaspersky Antivirus Customer Support
Kaspersky has the best Graphical User Interface when it comes to Antivirus products. Its features are easy to access and at the same time, it has fairly comprehensive settings. The color scheme is a personal favorite of mine and you can access everything from just one interphase.
The company’s products work great on windows, apple computers as well as apple and android smartphones. They offer the best security for your devices to make sure you’re always protected from cyber-attacks.
Kaspersky provides 24-hour customer support for order related queries or subscriptions. You're guaranteed to get quick and quality solutions from their support experts regarding any Kaspersky products.
There are different ways to reach Kaspersky such as email, webchats, and telephone. You can contact their support team anytime and they will offer excellent support for these and many more issues related to their products.
Is Kaspersky Safe and Effective?
Yes, Kaspersky is safe and effective. It has won awards for providing effective security solutions for homeowners, small and large businesses. It is one of the best antivirus programs available today, with real-time protection and great at detecting and blocking malware and a variety of other threats.
There was a controversy surrounding Kaspersky about its inappropriate ties to the Russian government in 2017. It was alleged that Kaspersky was using its antivirus programs to gather sensitive information from the computers of U.S government workers.
It was reported that Kaspersky's software gathered information about the internal practices of several organization systems and shared this with the Russian government.
The details of these allegations are however unclear as the U.S government is unwilling to share in great detail the intelligence that they have. As a precaution, the U.S government ordered all its departments to uninstall Kaspersky products from government computers. However, the allegations were never officially confirmed and Kaspersky is still being used by USA consumers.
As a result, Kaspersky moved its servers to Switzerland to avoid this kind of allegation.
I think these are just false allegations to tarnish the name of the company. Despite this, Kaspersky continues to be one of the best security companies and have been in the forefront fighting against cybercrime and malware.
Can Kaspersky detect and remove ransomware?
Kaspersky has earned the highest possible score from independent lab tests and other Kaspersky anti-virus reviews for its ability to detect, block, and remove ransomware.
The company’s products come with safe browser features that can detect and block ransomware files before they are downloaded to your computer. Kaspersky prevents the browser from even visiting suspicious websites known to harbor malicious files.
Ransomware usually spreads through infected email attachments. Once downloaded, cyber-criminals use it to hold hostage your files and then demand ransom in order to release them.
Here are some ways you can protect yourself from ransomware;
- Always check the sender's address before opening emails or attachments. This is because cyber-criminals make emails seem as though they contain important information such as bank statements, court order, or something you need.
- Always keep your operating system and other application programs up-to-date. Updates contain advanced features that make the applications more secure and stable.
- I would advise using strong passwords to protect your personal accounts and information from being hacked remotely.
- Do not open attachments in emails from unknown senders.
- It is important to have a solid backup plan, Kaspersky has this feature.
- Set Kaspersky to launch by default during operating system startup for it to protect your system during the entire boot time.
- Secure your Kaspersky account with a password to prevent unauthorized access to the antivirus application. Malicious people can modify their settings, disable or delete it.
Does Kaspersky offer a free trial?
Yes, this security company offers a free trial of 30 days. Examples of their products or packages with a free trial include;
- Kaspersky Anti-virus
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- Kaspersky Total Security
- Kaspersky security cloud, both personal and family
- Kaspersky VPN secure connection
- Kaspersky password manager
- Kaspersky safe for kids and many more
This trial will provide you with a great opportunity to try its packages and features before making a purchase.
The packages have the right tools to protect what matters the most to you whether on your computers or mobile devices.
- Kaspersky anti-virus protects you against ransomware, spyware blocks viruses, and crypto-currency mining malware.
- Kaspersky internet security. This is a package that offers security to all of your devices including your webcams. It also speeds up the performance of your machine.
- Kaspersky total security. This is the best security solution designed to protect your home and business. It includes additional features such as unlimited password manager, backup software, and robust parental control.
- Kaspersky safe for kids; it comes with good parental control options. If you have kids or teenagers that you want to monitor how often they browse the internet or different types of sites they visit, try this feature.
- Kaspersky security cloud, both personal and family; Try security cloud personal or family for 30 days. This package lets you browse privately, offers malware protection, will secure your passwords, checks for data leaks, monitors home WIFI, and boosts the performance of your devices by cleaning them.
- These free Kaspersky tools will help set your business on the right track and protect you from cyber-attacks;
These are just a few of its products with free trials in this Kaspersky review; you can visit their website for a broader list.
Can Kaspersky block phishing sites?
Yes, Kaspersky can help you connect to the Wi-Fi network securely and keep your account details safe. It will notify you if you attempt to connect to an insecure website.
In a phishing attack, cyber-criminals disguise themselves as legit businesses or websites. They trick you into opening an email attachment or clicking a link that redirects you to a fake website. The victim thinks this is a trustworthy website and enters login credentials into that fake website or application, finally handing over account credentials to the hacker.
Once hackers have your login credentials, they can change your passwords, steal your money, and even steal your identity. Luckily, Kaspersky has anti-spam filters and other features such as password managers that can detect and block phishing emails.
Does Kaspersky offer mobile protection?
Yes, Kaspersky offers mobile protection for all of your mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, and smartwatches. Its mobile app has a simple, user-friendly interface with a wide range of features.
- Kaspersky mobile Malware protection automatically scans your mobile device for threats, and if your system has been infected by malware, Kaspersky antivirus will remove it from your device and notify you.
- Kaspersky anti-theft feature protects your data against unauthorized access and helps locate your device if it is lost. You can send remote commands to lock your device, wipe the device, trigger an alarm, and even capture a photo of the intruder from the front-facing camera.
- Call filter features; this feature lets you block unwanted calls from telemarketers and spam callers. By setting up and managing your backlist, you will be able to identify numbers that you want to get blocked.
- Smart wear OS. Kaspersky lab protection goes wearable. This security company extends its protection to smartwatches. Use the watch to receive notifications from the app and can operate it by pressing keys on your watch screen or with voice commands; scans, updates or find a feature.
Our Editor's Choice
There’s actually an antivirus that outperforms these two products mentioned in the article, this antivirus is McAfee! With over 1500 security patents worldwide, it’s no wonder their line-up of products come with unique and powerful features that protects any device installed with it.
McAfee’s extensive knowledge in cybersecurity is championed with a database of 49 billion threat queries which are tailored to beat out multitudes of hackers everyday. Check out their security programs here!