Table of Contents
Oxylabs has been providing reliable business tools and proxies for over a decade, but is that enough to choose them as a proxy provider? This Oxylabs review should help you decide if the company is the right fit for your needs of IP blocking, web data scraping or crawling, market research, or simple brand protection. And, why not find out how it stacks against other top proxies in this review.
Oxylabs Products and Services
Like most proxy providers today, Oxylabs caters to a wide range of professionals and businesses. However, the main difference is that Oxylabs built its roster of tools for large-scale use.
1. Residential Proxies
Residential proxies are available as both static residential proxies and rotating residential proxies. While it may not be true that their Oxylabs proxies are from "every city," their residential proxy network is pretty impressive with over 70 million. Compare it with other top providers such as Luminati Proxy, Storm Proxies, or RSocks Proxy Service.
Note that Oxylabs residential proxies do not have SOCKS5 (only HTTP & HTTPS), which means some use cases like gaming or torrents are not possible.
However, these proxies provide customers with the ability to filter a residential proxy by ASN. And because these proxies are P2P residential IPs, they are shared. Users can choose to rotate an Oxylabs residential proxy every 10 minutes through every 30 minutes.
Or they can choose static residential proxies (Oxylabs has around 100k of these) that do not have to rotate.
2. Datacenter Proxies
If you're looking to use Oxylabs residential proxies for torrents or gaming, then the data center counterpart should be your solution. Oxylabs has the biggest network of IP addresses and provides the most unlimited concurrent sessions.
The data center Oxylabs proxies are over 2 million, spread across 7,850 subnets. The data center proxies are not shared, so if your business needed a thousand IPs, you can choose from a range of 1 to 1,000 subnets - each of which considered a dedicated account since you won't be sharing the service with any other business.
- SOCKS5 Proxy: Unlike residential proxies, Oxylabs offer, the data center proxies support all three main protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, and SOCKS5).
- Proxy Rotator: This add-on service allows you to set up the proxies to rotate.
- Targeting locations: Datacenter proxies are from more than 80 locations around the world, which gives data extraction a higher success rate since it allows account-holders to use the IPs and scrape from various locales.
All datacenter proxies come with unlimited bandwidth and support whitelisted IP authorization. You can whitelist as many IP addresses as you need via the dashboard.
3. Next-Gen Residential Proxies
Oxylabs offers next-gen residential proxies, which are similar to any traditional residential IPs, except it combines AI (artificial intelligence) with the proxy service.
Unheard of in other proxy providers, these next-gen residential IPs were surely made to impress with their machine learning features, such as dynamic fingerprinting, adaptive parsing, or rendering large-scale JS-heavy sites, among many others planned.
4. Real-time Crawler
This web scraping tool is the biggest edge of Oxylabs over other proxy providers. The real-time crawler tool collects data almost automatically - you'll just need to set up your web scraping target and the tool will get you the data in either JSON or HTML format.
Businesses use this tool in conjunction with Oxylabs proxies. They're especially useful for search engines and e-commerce websites that use advanced anti-captcha and other security mechanisms.
The best thing about this tool is that you only pay if it returns data successfully. But since it is an add-on service on top of your Oxylabs proxy needs, be sure to be on top of your usage since each data you get quickly adds up.
Note-Worthy Oxylabs Features
Oxylabs maintain over 1.5 million dedicated proxies and 30 million residential proxies across 180 countries. The city level to country-level proxy network allows its users to conceal their identities while using the web.
Faster Servers and Uptime
The company uses Squid Proxy servers, which are known in the industry for their stability and speed. These servers run at a speed of 1000 mb/s with a claimed 99.9% uptime. If for any reason the server speed goes down, Oxylabs does keep updates of possible issues on their website.
The Oxylabs dashboard has four big sections where you can see proxy usage statistics, create sub-users, add whitelist IPs, or check your billing information.
You'll set up proxies from here, but the process depends on the type of proxy you're working on:
- Datacenter IPs: To download the list of proxies (datacenter), you must authenticate your proxies first via the dashboard. You can do this with your IP or credentials.
- Residential IPs: Residential proxies start with back-connect gateway servers (via hostname:port). This process is a bit trickier if you're new to IPs, but the good news if Oxylabs has a very in-depth knowledgebase and API documentation if you're feeling lost in the process. You can also get support from your account manager if you can't do it by yourself. Oxylabs also has an API only for residential proxies, but users can use it to get proxies, assign traffic and manage their limits, create sub-users, and so on.
Designed as Business solutions
As mentioned earlier, Oxylabs is a legitimate b2b provider and you can definitely see this in how the company presents its services to businesses. Here are several examples:
- VIP treatment: Individuals go through a typical registration process, but businesses could directly contact sales to sign up. Note that a customer support rep would get in touch with you and get your business name, business email, phone number, the industry your business belongs in, and payment (credit card details, etc.).
- White hat: One of the common issues with datacenter or residential proxies is that such services fall in the gray-hat area. Any Oxylabs proxy or IPs are guaranteed to operate strictly in white-hat zones.
- Insurance policy: All Oxylabs residential IP, IP address, and other products are insured (via Llyod's insurance).
Oxylabs promotes its services for use cases like brand protection, market research, data gathering, ad verification, and so on.
The cost of Oxylabs can be surprising for most people since it is quite expensive at first look. However, the pricing actually gets cheaper with the volume of IPs or length of commitment.
- Datacenter proxies start from $180/month that includes 100 IP addresses (ending up with $1.8 per IP address). Bigger companies would save more (from $1.8/IP to $1.2/IP) if they get a 5000-IP address plan monthly for $6000.
- Residential proxy plans begin at $300/month with 20GB bandwidth. Enterprise-level can go as high as $5,000/month for 1TB bandwidth.
- Nextgen residential proxies start from $360/month
- The real-time crawler add-on is $99/month (or higher depending on needs)
Of course, the pricing goes down much more if you're willing to pay on a yearly basis.
Regardless of proxy type, those interested in Oxylabs proxy can directly try out the 3 cheapest plans starter, business, corporate) from the website, but enterprise plans must go through an account manager.
Pros and Cons of Oxylabs
Does Oxylabs Provide the Best Proxy or Web Scraping Service?
The Lithuania-based company will impress you because it isn't just a proxy provider - it is actually a business-to-business (b2b) provider. Using Oxylabs means it could support proxy and web scraping needs of professionals to enterprise-level companies.
While it isn't true that the proxies offered come from every city in the world (that's quite an exaggeration), the company's proxy services are highly recommended. You definitely can get proxies from all the major cities and from servers with a speed of 1000 MB/s. Plus if used right, the scraping tool can be a powerful tool to jumpstart lead generation or marketing campaigns.
Oxylabs proxies cover what you expect from a datacenter or residential proxy. However, what they're offering isn't the cheapest in the industry, but they're reasonable priced for large-scale data scraping tasks. The company has designed its products and services specifically for businesses, but this doesn't mean individuals and SMBs couldn't take advantage of the high-quality proxies.
If you're going to need safe, high-speed, white-hat, and reliable proxies for a long-term, the amount you're going to pay Oxylabs won't go to waste. The company will definitely deliver for as long as you need Oxylabs' services.
1. What Oxylabs?
Oxylabs is a proxy provider company. For over a decade, Oxylabs has provided dependable business tools and proxies. Oxylabs, like the majority of proxy providers today, caters to a diverse range of professionals and businesses. However, the primary distinction is that Oxylabs developed its toolkit for enterprise use.
2. What is the purpose of proxy?
Proxy servers serve as a firewall and web filter, sharing network connections, and caching data to accelerate common requests. In addition, a good proxy server protects users and the internal network from the dangers of the wild internet.
3. Are residential proxies legal?
Proxies for residential purposes are entirely legal. Indeed, they are necessary if you wish to remain secure online.
4. How much do residential proxies cost?
The average price of a residential proxy server is around $200, but this price varies according to the amount of GB purchased. Luminati offers the most expensive proxy packages. Their entry-level price is $500 per month, which may be prohibitively expensive for individual Internet users.
5. Can proxies be traced?
A proxy server acts as an intermediary between your browser and the internet. When you use a proxy server, your actual IP address is replaced, preventing it from being tracked by third parties, such as government surveillance agencies and cybercriminals.