Is a wireless monitor the way to go? Should you use a wireless display instead of the standard computer monitor with a wired cable connection?
- Most modern monitors and TVs come with a Bluetooth feature
- A wireless bluetooth monitor is a type of computer monitor that uses infrared signals to bridge a connection with the computer, laptop or similar device
- Benefits of a Bluetooth Monitor: ease of use, wireless connectivity, energy efficiency
- Disadvantages of Bluetooth Monitors: range, speed, security
Today, some modern monitors come with Bluetooth technology or other technologies that enable you to connect your devices. The wireless networks and connections have several advantages, including reducing clutter on your desk to enhance neatness.
But are wireless monitors the ideal type of monitors? Do they offer good-quality images? In this guide, we'll take you through the benefits of Bluetooth monitors and how you can connect your monitor using Bluetooth.
A Short History Of Bluetooth
In 1994 Ericsson's R&D teams started investigating ways to connect computers and the "smartphones" of the day without cables and in 1997, Jim Kardach proposed the name "Bluetooth" for the new technology that would unify communications protocols.
So, in 1998, along with Nokia, IBM, Intel and Toshiba, Ericsson founded the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG). The first formalized Bluetooth technical specification arrived in 1999. The standard's logo is a ligature of two runes from the Younger Futhark runic alphabet: Hagall (ᚼ) and Bjarkan (ᛒ), Harald Bluetooth’s initials.
What Is a Bluetooth Monitor?
A Bluetooth monitor is a monitor that uses wireless signals to enable a connection between your laptop or computer. The connection helps to display computer-generated data, including videos and graphics.
The wireless computer monitor works the same way as a standard monitor but uses a wireless connection such as Bluetooth, wireless USB, or a WiFi-powered TV adapter.
For a wireless monitor to work, the sender and receiver require compatible wireless communication technologies. The PC or laptop will process the graphical data and broadcast it wirelessly. The wireless monitor uses Bluetooth technology to catch the signals, convert them back to graphical data, and display them.
The Intel Corporation was the first to introduce wireless monitors in its WiDi (wireless display) product. The WiDi product enabled data transmission from a laptop or PC using a WiDi TV adapter that uses WiFi technology or wireless signals.
What Can You Do With a Bluetooth Wireless monitor?
Bluetooth is a wireless technology that enables you to connect devices over a short distance and transmit data back and forth. The technology enables you to connect various devices, including keyboards, speakers, mice, and headphones.
How Can You Connect Wirelessly Via a Bluetooth Connection?
Connecting devices wirelessly requires you to turn Bluetooth on and add a device. You can use the following steps:
- Ensure you turn on the Bluetooth for the two devices you want to connect. You can check the connection by going to the search bar and typing Bluetooth Settings. When you open the settings, you can turn Bluetooth on and also add devices.
- If you've never connected the two devices before, you can use the Add Device option to get the devices to recognize each other.
- When you get a pop-up on your screen, choose Bluetooth and leave your computer to search for the other device. The device may show as an Unknown Device.
- Click on the second device to link the two.
- Finally, the two devices will show you a pin. If the two pins match, you can connect the two devices. If the two devices don't pair, you may be trying to connect to another device. Repeat the process to ensure the pins match to guarantee a connection
Note, Bluetooth isn't the best for creating a connection between devices over a long distance. Additionally, sometimes you might have challenges creating a connection between two devices. You can try various troubleshooting techniques in such instances, including turning the Bluetooth on and off for the two devices.
How to Connect Two Monitors Using Bluetooth
How can you connect two computer monitors from a PC or laptop you want to use as your primary device?
- When you are sure your two monitors are connected using Bluetooth, go to the search bar and search for Display Settings and then navigate to the settings.
- From the list of option that appears, scroll down to Multiple Displays and select Connect a Wireless Display.
- Next, you'll get a menu that'll slide from the right with a list of available devices. Click on the device you want to choose as your display.
- You'll receive a popup on the second monitor telling you that another device wants to connect wirelessly. Allow the connection
- You'll then receive a pin on either screen. If the pin matches the two monitors, you should paint them to create a dual-monitor setup.
How Do You Connect a Bluetooth Device to Windows 10?
- Ensure you turn on the Bluetooth for the device and set it in pairing mode. The process can involve pressing and holding the Bluetooth button.
- Next, use the Windows key + 1 to open the settings app
- On the settings, navigate to Devices and then go to Bluetooth
- Ensure that your Bluetooth is on
- Next, select the device or second screen that you wish to connect and then click on pair
When you click ‘on pair, you are through. Windows 10 will take over and finish the rest of the process.
If you want to connect a Bluetooth wireless display or audio, you can use the following steps:
- Click the Action Center button on the taskbar's notification area. Alternatively, you can press the Windows Key + A shortcut
- Go to the Quick Connections area and then click the Connect button
- You'll get a list of all the enabled devices. Click on your wireless display or audio device from the list. The device should pair automatically.
If you go to Devices and you don't see the Bluetooth section, there may be issues with your Bluetooth driver. Right-click on the Start button and go to your Device Manager to ensure the Bluetooth drivers are there and correctly installed.
If the Bluetooth drivers are there but still have issues, you might consider downloading and installing the latest drivers from your monitor's manufacturer's website.
How Do You Remove a Wireless Device From Windows 10?
Disconnecting a Bluetooth device from Windows 10 is a straightforward process. You need to follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app by clicking the Windows Key + 1 shortcut
- Go to Devices and then navigate to Bluetooth
- You'll get a list of the connected wireless devices. Click on the wireless device you want to remove and then press the Remove button. Click Yes to confirm the disconnection.
With that, the Bluetooth device is disconnected, and you cannot share data between the two devices. Reconnecting the device will require you to repeat the initial connection process.
What is the Newest Version of Bluetooth?
At the CES conference in January 2020, Bluetooth introduced the latest version of Bluetooth technology — version 5.2. Version 5.2 offers new benefits for the next generation of wireless devices and audio technologies. It also ushers in the next generation of Bluetooth audio — LE Audio
Benefits of a Bluetooth Monitor
Using a wireless monitor with a Bluetooth connection comes with its benefits, including:
One of the most significant benefits of using a wireless monitor is that you don't require a single cable to transmit data.
Using cables to transmit data between your PC or laptop and the monitor creates a lot of clutter on your desk. It also limits where you can locate your PC or monitor as you must consider the cable length.
However, with a wireless connection, you don't require any cables, leaving your desk clean and neat. You can also place your monitor at a safe distance, provided you maintain a strong connection between the Bluetooth devices.
Using cables can also limit the number of devices you can connect to the monitor. Connecting a device to the monitor using a cable will require a port such as an HDMI port or any other. On the other hand, Bluetooth requires connecting multiple devices without using any cable.
Ease of Use
You don't need advanced skills in technology to use Bluetooth. The pairing process between your monitor and other devices is effortless and straightforward. You don't require to download any software or install drivers.
All you require is to turn on the Bluetooth on both devices and make them discoverable. After that, the devices may require you to enter a pin, and then they'll connect automatically.
Another advantage of a Bluetooth monitor is that it's energy-efficient. This is due to the low-energy signals that Bluetooth uses.
Most modern monitors and TVs come with a Bluetooth feature. The same applies to other electronic devices, including smartphones, laptops, and tablets. Thus, you won't have problems connecting your monitor with other devices.
Disadvantages of Bluetooth Monitors
Bluetooth doesn't offer a long range of communication. The maximum range that it can offer is 100m. The devices you need to connect to the monitor should be at close range.
Wireless connections have a slower transmission speed than the use of cables. Since Bluetooth is energy-efficient, it has a slower mechanism of data transmission. Therefore, it's ideal for transferring small documents rather than sending large files such as audio and videos.
The security level of Bluetooth is lower than for other wireless connections since it uses Radio frequencies for its connections. Thus, it may not be the best method of transferring sensitive information as hackers can steal your data, including personal information.
Final Word on Bluetooth Monitors
Wireless connections are becoming more popular nowadays. Most modern monitors and TVs come with wireless connection capabilities. A wireless connection, such as Bluetooth, is advantageous as you don't require cables to connect your devices. The lack of cables leaves your desk clutter-free and neat. Bluetooth is also easy to use and doesn't require you to be knowledgeable in technological matters. Another advantage of Bluetooth is its availability and energy efficiency.
However, it has a limited range of communication, and it isn't secure.
1. How do you set up a Bluetooth monitor?
Enable Bluetooth on your device. Select 'Monitor Bluetooth' in the Bluetooth list and accept pairing. The LED indicator turns off when the pairing is completed.
2. How do I know if my monitor is Bluetooth?
Right-click the Windows Start button and select Device Manager. Look in the device list for Bluetooth, if the entry is present, you have Bluetooth on your device. You can also look in Network adapters for a Bluetooth entry. If it is present, you have Bluetooth capability.
3.Can you connect a phone to a monitor wirelessly?
Yes, by using Mirror Display. Tap Cast Screen. In the upper right-hand corner, tap the Menu icon. Tap the checkbox for Enable wireless display to enable it. Available device names will appear, tap on the name of the device you wish to mirror your Android device's display to.
4. Do all computers support Bluetooth?
Bluetooth is a fairly common feature in laptops, but it's rarer in desktop PCs which still tend to lack Wi-Fi and Bluetooth unless they're a top-end model.
5. Which port is used by Bluetooth?
It is Infrared Port. It enables wireless connection of data through infrared rays. Moreover, it works within a range of 10m. Furthermore, any two devices having an infrared port face each other so that they can share data through infrared rays.