9 Top Picks
40 Hours of Research
20 Options Considered
Most of today's users have grown up using smartphones and computers, so it's easy to take all this novel tech for granted. But it's a lot to comprehend for those who don't–like our elderly parents or grandparents.
Seniors have unique computer usage needs that make it hard to find the best laptop. So if you want the best laptop for your senior relative, you should give it extra thought. You want to prioritize simplicity-a computer that's easy to understand and use. The laptop's keys and screen size should also be big enough and everything else visible.
3 Top Laptops for Seniors
This is a high-performing laptop with high processing speed for the best user experience for seniors. What I liked most about this laptop was its ease of use. Integrating Amazon Alexa ensures seniors effortlessly navigate their laptops using voice commands.
This laptop is ideal for seniors as it is easy to use and configure. With the stylus pen, seniors can seamlessly navigate the laptop. Its full-size keyboard with well-spaced characters also makes typing easier for seniors.
The up to 18 hours of battery life ensures seniors use the laptop all day long without plugging it. The laptop also has high performance, ensuring seniors smoothly run operations for an enhanced experience.
Fortunately, making your new laptop selection shouldn't be overwhelming. I've done all the testing, research, and picking on your behalf. You'll also learn what makes a good laptop for elderly users who are not that tech-savvy. So you won't have to struggle to get the best laptop for seniors.
Best Laptop for Seniors: A List of The Powerful Ones
After multiple trials and extensive research, I've found these powerful laptop computers to be the best for seniors.
2022 Newest Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
Microsoft Surface Pro 8
2020 Apple MacBook Air Laptop
2021 Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 13.3” FHD Touchscreen Laptop Computer
HP Chromebook 14 Laptop
Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 13” Laptop
ASUS ZenBook Flip S 13 Ultra-Slim Laptop
Acer Aspire E 15
MSI GF63 Thin 9SC-068 15.6” Gaming Laptop
Best Laptop for Seniors Reviews
At the top of my list of the best laptops for seniors is the 2022 Newest Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop. It is a high-performing laptop with high processing speed for the best user experience for seniors. What I liked most about this 15.6-inch laptop was its ease of use. Integrating Amazon Alexa ensures seniors effortlessly navigate their laptops using voice commands. It has lots of other high-end specs, as I've shown below.
2022 Newest Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop Features
- This laptop boasts of top performance. It has a 4-core AMD Ryzen 3 3350U Quad-Core Processor with 2.10GHz and 3.50GHz base and maximum boost frequencies, respectively, ensuring high laptop performance.
- It also has ample space for watching videos and multitasking. My senior citizen enjoyed watching his classic documentaries on the 15.6 inches display.
- I was impressed by this laptop's clear and sharp imagery. Thanks to the Full HD display resolution, my seniors can enjoy high-quality displays while watching videos and doing other tasks on their laptops.
- The accurate colors and wide viewing angles of the IPS panel enhance the user experience for seniors.
- The 8GB high-bandwidth RAM lets my senior open multiple applications and run them smoothly without affecting the laptop's performance.
- I can save more favorite movies, videos, and documentaries with the 256 GB Solid State Drive, which also allows instant application launching.
- The comprehensive connectivity lets seniors connect the laptop to external devices and charge accessories. It has one USB 3.1 (Type-C) Gen 1, two USB 3.1 Gen 1, one USB 2.0, and one HDMI Port with HDCP Support.
- The HD Camera lets seniors connect and keep in touch with their loved ones through video chats. I often communicate with them through WhatsApp video calls.
- The laptop supports Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax lets the seniors connect to the internet to stream their favorite shows.
- The backlit keyboard is easy to type.
- The Amazon Alexa lets the senior control the laptop seamlessly using voice commands. They can also sign in quickly using the fingerprint reader.
[Best for the Money]
I greatly admire touchscreen laptops, especially those that support a stylus pen. This laptop is ideal for seniors as it is easy to use and configure. With the stylus pen, seniors can seamlessly navigate the laptop. Its full-size keyboard with well-spaced characters also makes typing easier for seniors.
Microsoft Surface Pro 8 Features
- I'm sure my senior would enjoy watching his classic documentaries and old times films on the crystal clear display of this laptop, thanks to the 2880 × 1920 resolution.
- I love the flexibility that comes with this laptop. It has a detachable keyboard that lets seniors use tablet mode, which is much more convenient.
- The laptop has 256GB SSD storage, ensuring I store more content for my elderly folks.
- This laptop features a Surface Signature Keyboard with well-fit characters for the best typing experience for seniors.
- The thin and lightweight design is great for seniors. They can carry it around more comfortably.
- Seniors can now connect to the internet fast and stream their favorite shows. The laptop supports fast and reliable Wi-Fi connectivity, ensuring an uninterrupted connection to the internet.
- The high 8 LPDDR 4 GB RAM ensures I run my programs smoothly without lag, enhancing my seniors' user experience.
- Seniors like the old classic experience. Now, this laptop supports Bluetooth wireless connectivity that lets seniors connect the laptop to external Bluetooth soundbars for enhanced multimedia experience, especially when listening to old-school music.
[Best Battery Life]
After using this laptop for quite a while, I became impressed by its long battery life. The up to 18 hours of battery life ensures seniors use the laptop all day long without plugging it. The laptop also has high performance, ensuring seniors smoothly run operations and multimedia for an enhanced experience.
2020 Apple MacBook Air Laptop Features
- This laptop guarantees high performance. With the 8-core Apple M1 chip CPU, seniors can smoothly run multiple applications without slowdowns.
- With 8GB RAM, my senior citizen can launch multiple applications and run them smoothly without lag.
- The Retina display produces vivid images with new levels of realism. This feature enhances the seniors' experience.
- I also love that this laptop is easy to use and set up. It has apps ready to use out of the box, thus enhancing my seniors' experience.
- As you age, your preference for a quiet environment increases. This laptop has a fanless design that keeps the laptop cool while maintaining quiet operations.
- The one-year warranty protects me against malfunctioning issues that may arise for the laptop I bought for my senior. Besides, the 90-day complimentary technical support lets me address any technical issue that may arise with this laptop for free.
This Core i5 laptop has a powerful processor that ensures seniors run programs efficiently without lag. I was particularly impressed by the sharp and clear images the laptop produced, thanks to the Full HD display resolution. I also don't need to worry about my senior's well-being over long laptop exposure as the laptop features an anti-glare screen that protects their eyes.
2021 Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 13.3” FHD Touchscreen Laptop Features
- The laptop's high memory capacity (8GB) lets my seniors run applications smoothly. This memory allows them to browse multiple tabs simultaneously without affecting the laptop's performance.
- The Guard-core 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor has a high processing speed that ensures the smooth running of activities to improve the seniors' experience.
- The built-in speakers produce quality sound to enhance the multimedia experience of seniors.
- 720p HD Webcam allows me to keep in touch with my seniors through video chats. It also has a private shutter to enhance privacy.
- With 512GB PCIe SSD storage, I can save more files for my senior. The fast SSD storage also lets senior users open programs instantly.
- The backlit keyboard is excellent for seniors' typing experience.
- Seniors need an easy-to-use device. With a fully functioning fingerprint reader, my senior can sign in more quickly and with enhanced security.
- The Intel Iris Xe Graphics ensures high image quality for watching videos and streaming favorite shows, enhancing the user experience.
- The laptop runs on Windows 11 with more advanced accessibility features, which is ideal for seniors.
Like its Dell counterpart, I find HP Chromebook 14-inch laptop best suited for seniors. One factor that impressed me is about this HP Chromebook is it's sufficiently bright 14-inch Full HD, compact form, and durable battery life.
HP Chromebook 14 Laptop Features
- I find 3.42 lbs weight suitable for seniors as it is lightweight, thus, they can carry it around conveniently.
- The laptop comes with an Intel Celeron N3350 processor that offers above-average performance.
- It has 32GB internal storage (eMMc) for storing data and files.
- I also appreciate its gorgeous Full HD display, which produces sharp and clear images, improving the user experience for seniors.
- I noticed that this laptop's display is glare resistant during daytime use, thus, the seniors' eyes are well protected against strain.
- It has enough space (14 inches) for my seniors to watch their favorite videos and multitask.
- The long battery life of up to 13 hours and 30 minutes lets my senior use this laptop for long sessions before recharging it.
- The laptop supports Wi-Fi 5.0, which ensures fast and reliable internet access, allowing the seniors to stream their favorite shows and high-quality videos.
- It is also compatible with Bluetooth 5.0 combo wireless technology that lets the seniors connect the laptop to external soundbars, thus enhancing their multimedia experience.
Ever thought of a quality mid-range laptop but had limited cash? This Core i3 laptop is the ideal choice if that is the case. It has quality mid-range specs but retails at a much more affordable price. I was also impressed by its slim and compact design, allowing seniors to carry this lightweight laptop around conveniently.
Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 13’ Laptop Features
- The laptop features a touchscreen display that allows seniors to navigate quickly, control, and configure it. It also allows the user to use a Lenovo digital pen to draw figures on the laptop.
- The 10th Gen Intel Core i3-10110U processor has sufficient processing power to facilitate the smooth running of operations.
- It is a 2-in-1 laptop supporting tablet mode for user convenience. It integrates the touchscreen feature with a keyboard allowing the senior to use both the keyboard and the touchscreen feature to input commands and configure the laptop.
- With a Full HD display, my seniors enjoy sharp, clear images that enhance their user experience.
- It has two stereo speakers, ensuring an immersive experience for seniors.
- The laptop has 64GB HDD storage with additional cloud storage to store documents and multimedia files.
- The robust battery lasts up to 10 hours, ensuring my senior uses the laptop for long sessions before recharging.
- It also has a built-in webcam that lets the seniors video chat with their loved ones.
If you ever think of buying a premium laptop for a senior, consider no other than ASUS ZenBook Flip S 13 Ultra-Slim Laptop. I loved this laptop's thin design, that looks both attractive and portable simultaneously. I was also impressed by its supportive number pad, ensuring a seamless and accurate typing experience on a backlit keyboard.
ASUS ZenBook Flip S 13 Ultra-Slim Laptop Features
- The 4K UHD display ensures quality and vibrant image display to enhance the seniors' experience.
- The touch screen display allows you to enter commands and navigate their laptops effortlessly.
- The laptop has a high brightness level of 400 nits, which produces brighter whites in bright conditions to enhance the watching experience.
- It has a 360 degrees ErgoLift hinge, allowing you to fold the laptop and use the much more convenient tablet mode.
- The backlit keyboard makes typing in dim light conditions seamless. The keyboard also has well-spaced characters, making typing easy for seniors with eye problems.
- Enjoy the high processing power of the 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor that ensures the smooth running of programs.
- 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD of storage is enough to store documents and large files for my seniors. SSD storage also lets seniors enjoy the fast launch of applications and quick file retrieval.
- The laptop has 16 GB LPDDR4X RAM that allows users to open multiple files simultaneously without affecting the laptop's performance.
If you have a very busy senior, the Acer Aspire E 15 is the ideal laptop for them. It's a laptop with 1TB HDD and 6GB RAM, which maintains the laptop's performance even when multiple tabs run simultaneously. I was also impressed by its large screen size and sharp images.
Acer Aspire E 15 Features
- The laptop has a Full HD display that produces sharp, clear images.
- It runs on Windows 10 Operating System with advanced features to enhance the media experience.
- The laptop has a 15.6 inches display with ample space for multitasking and watching movies efficiently.
- It has an Intel Core i3 8130U processor with sufficient power to ensure a smooth run of activities.
- 6GB RAM is high enough to allow you to launch multiple programs simultaneously and not affect the laptop's performance.
- With a 1TB HDD, I can save large files, unlimited videos, and movies for the best user experience. The only drawback is that HDD is not as fast as SSD storage.
- The laptop is compatible with Wi-Fi connectivity, letting seniors access reliable internet services to watch their favorite programs online.
- It is also compatible with Bluetooth wireless connectivity, letting you connect the laptop to external Bluetooth devices.
- The laptop supports the Windows 10 Home Operating System that comes with advanced features to improve your user experience.
The last laptop best for senior citizens is the MSI GF63 Thin 9SC-068 15.6’ Gaming Laptop. It is a high-performance gaming laptop with quality features for the best performance. For instance, I was impressed by the powerful Intel Core i5-9300H and the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650, which ensure top laptop performance.
MSI GF63 Thin 9SC-068 15.6’ Gaming Laptop Features
- The laptop has an impressive display. With 15.6 inches of space, seniors can efficiently multitask.
- The powerful Intel Core i5-9300H ensures smooth operations for top laptop performance.
- The dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 graphics card ensures quality image display for an enhanced watching experience.
- It has a high 8GB memory capacity that lets seniors run multiple programs smoothly.
- The laptop also has 256GB NVMe SSD storage that lets me store more content for my senior's entertainment. This fast storage also lets the seniors instantly launch apps and programs.
- It has sharp and clear images, thanks to the 1920 × 1080 pixels resolution.
- The laptop's IPS panel produces accurate colors for the improved senior experience. It also has wide viewing angles that make watching videos and movies great.
- The laptop also has 45% NTSC coverage for color depth.
What to Look for When Purchasing a Computer for a Senior
Unless you're a senior, it's easy to miss some crucial needs when looking for the perfect computer for the elderly. I've compiled the vital considerations you should focus on when searching for a new laptop:
Portability and Comfort
You want a great portable laptop and comfortable for the average elderly user. So check whether the person you're buying the computer for has any special needs worth considering.
A full-size keyboard and touch screens require less skill, hence are ideal for users experiencing hand pain. You may also eliminate the need for hand typing through voice-to-text typing.
Seniors with hearing loss will need quality built-in speakers and Bluetooth connectivity. Those with vision issues need sufficient screen size, retina display, and vast accessibility settings like screen readers for reading text, color adjustment, and the on-screen keyboard.
You also want a laptop model that befits the user's daily activities. If usage revolves around simple activities like word processing, streaming, and video chat, you'll want to choose an affordable and easy-to-use device as you shop around. If necessary, you may purchase a higher-priced model with a spill-resistant keyboard, sufficient storage, and advanced processing capabilities.
Ports and Peripherals
The best computers for elderly users enable seamless connectivity to third-party devices like scanners, mice, monitors, or printers. So make sure your choice offers all the ports for the intended use. The leading peripherals and ports that make a good laptop include:
Type-C USB 3.2 or higher
Thunderbolt 3 or higher
Laptop users have varying storage needs. So be sure to confirm their intended usage when choosing the proper storage. For instance, you'll need more storage if the senior wants to save many videos and photos. On the other hand, those who simply browse the web and stream their favorite content won't need much of it.
Ease of use
You should always have this crucial concern when shopping, as your average user isn't as tech-savvy. Consider accessible, fast, and simple laptops with straightforward operating systems or one with which the intended user is already familiar. Don't make it hard for them to transition, so pick something relatable and easy to use and uses relatable computer technology.
Size and Weight
Compact, lightweight laptops are the best picks for the elderly. No need to subject your loved one to agitation or strain, especially if they have conditions like arthritis. Instead, select a light computer that you're sure is portable and comfortable. Fortunately, you'll know how much a laptop weighs by checking product descriptions and packaging.
You want a device that fits your pockets. When you go for a budget laptop for seniors, you'll likely encounter issues like slower processor speed, virus vulnerability, and touchpad or keyboard issues. You're better off going for a refurbished one instead of a new computer. On the other hand, you also don't want to choose an overpriced model that beats the whole point of simplicity and ease of use.
You now know what to consider when looking for laptops for seniors. Of course, these factors will depend on the intended usage of the new computer, so be sure to confirm with the elderly relative or friend before purchasing one of the many laptops for seniors. Generally, check what they're currently using, the things they appreciate, and what they feel is lacking.
Which Are the Best Laptops for Seniors?
The best laptops for seniors are listed below.
2022 Newest Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
Microsoft Surface Pro 8
2020 Apple MacBook Air Laptop
2021 Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 13.3’ FHD Touchscreen Laptop Computer
HP Chromebook 14 Laptop
Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 13’ Laptop
ASUS ZenBook Flip S 13 Ultra-Slim Laptop
Acer Aspire E 15
MSI GF63 Thin 9SC-068 15.6’ Gaming Laptop
What Makes a Good Laptop for Seniors?
The specialized features the laptop integrates make it a good laptop for seniors. The best laptops for elderly citizens must offer specialized features for the best experience among aged users. It should be easy to use, portable, have a quality display, and offer sufficient storage.
Are Chromebooks Great for Seniors?
Yes, Chromebooks are great for seniors, thanks to their simplicity, ease of use, and intuitive access to video chatting, internet browsing, and word processing. Advanced brands are relatively potent, featuring powerful batteries, remarkable touch displays, excellent performance, and lots of storage space.
Is a Laptop or Tablet Better for Seniors?
A tablet is better for seniors than a laptop. Generally, tablets tend to be more portable than most laptops. Thus, seniors can carry it conveniently. Also, most tablets have better battery life than laptops. However, laptops are more powerful than tablets and may be suitable for creating Office documents.