Laptop size is the next important feature after model and make when buying a new laptop. It is also essential when purchasing a bag for your laptop. The nature of your needs may dictate what size your laptop should be.
For instance, art students, freelance writers, and professional persons prefer thin and small-sized laptops that usually come with a stylus pen. However, programmers, web designers, and pro gamers prefer large screen-sized laptops. The laptop's size is calculated the same way you'll measure a TV or a monitor. Its unit of measurement is inches. Standard sizes of laptops include 11 inches, 13 inches, 14 inches, 15 inches, and 17 inches (see travel laptops).
But, what does size mean in laptops? And how do you measure the size of your monitor?
There are several ways you can use to determine the size of your laptop. They are easy steps you can take by yourself. Read through to learn more about measuring your laptop's screen size.
What Is “Size” in a Laptop?
The term size in laptops means the measurements taken on the laptop diagonally without adding up the bezel dimensions. You shouldn't confuse this term with other aspects of the laptop, such as the keyboard size of your laptop. However, the size of your laptop may include all other aspects other than the screen.
This means that your laptop screen matters most when determining the screen size, but things are a bit different when determining the laptop size as you have to consider all other factors like the bezel.
What to Know Before Measuring the Size of Your Laptop
Consider the following factors before measuring the actual size of your laptop.
- The laptop size is different from the screen size of your laptop.
- The screen size is limited to the screen's diagonal measurement, whereas the laptop size includes the bezels measurements.
- If you're determining the monitor size to buy laptop bags or laptop sleeves, then add up some inches to the actual dimension you get.
- You need measuring tools like the tape measure or a calibrated ruler to take the measurements.
- Inches are the standard unit of measurements primarily used in measuring laptops. However, you can convert this unit to other centimeters (cm) units.
How Do You Measure the Size of Your Laptop?
The methods you can use to measure the size of your laptop are given below.
- Measuring the screen size in inches
- Viewing from the system specifications
- Looking at the laptop model number of the laptop
- Measuring the laptop size online
- Checking the backside of the laptop.
How to Measure the Screen Size in Inches
Use the guide given below to determine your laptop size in inches.
- Measuring diagonal length
- Measuring height
- Measuring width
- Measuring depth
Measuring Diagonal Length
The diagonal length of the laptop is the length from one corner to the other one diagonally. The diagonal measurement of your laptop gives an accurate size of the laptop and the screen.
The procedure for measuring the diagonal length of your laptop is the same, regardless of the brand.
The steps for measuring the diagonal length of your monitor are given below.
- Put the laptop on a flat, stable surface.
- Take your measuring tape and place it at the bottom left corner of the laptop. A calibrated ruler can also work out.
- Stretch the measuring tape straight to reach the top right corner of the laptop.
- Take the measuring tape readings at the bottom left corner. Do the same to the measurement at the top right corner of the laptop.
- Subtract the reading at the beginning of the tape from the reading at the top right corner. The result is the actual size of your laptop.
- You can express the result in inches or centimeters, although inches is the most common unit.
- To find the size of your screen, repeat the above procedure, but do not cover the entire laptop, including bezels. Limit your measurement to the screen's diagonals only.
Measuring Width of the Laptop
Follow the given procedure below to measure the width of your laptop.
- Take your measuring tape and place it at the front top left corner of the laptop. There's no harm if you start from the right corner.
- Stretch the measuring tape to the end of the right corner.
- Record the tape readings from the start and the endpoint of the corner.
- Subtract the reading at the start from the tape measure reading at the right corner of the laptop. The result gives the width of your laptop.
- If you want to measure the screen's width, use the same procedure, but, this time, starting and ending at the start and end of the screen, eliminating the bezels.
- You can convert the measurements to other units if needed.
We measure the front part when determining the laptop's width because it does not have ports that can interfere with the measurements.
Use the steps given below to measure the depth of your laptop.
- Take your measuring tape and put it in the back left corner of the laptop.
- Stretch the measuring tape to the right corner of the laptop.
- Stretch the measuring tape further to include the rounded edges of the laptop.
- Record the readings at the start of the measuring tape and the ones at the other end.
- Subtract the tape measure reading at the back left corner of the laptop from the reading at the back right corner of the laptop. The result gives the depth of your monitor.
- If needed, convert the measurements to other units.
The height measurement should be the last step when determining the size of your laptop.
Follow the guide given below to measure the height of your laptop.
- Close the laptop and bring on the measuring tape.
- Identify the thickest side of the closed laptop. You should measure the laptop's height from the thickest side.
- Take your measuring tape and place it on the thickest side you've identified.
- Stretch the measuring tape to the other end of the laptop.
- Take the readings at the two endings.
- Subtract the tape measure reading at the start from the reading at the end of the measuring point. What you get is the height of the laptop.
- You can also measure the computer screen height of the laptop using the same procedure, but excluding the bezels parts.
Most laptops are two inches tall.
You'll need to convert the measurements to other units if you have to. For instance, if its specifications are in other units.
Alternative Methods of Measuring the Laptop Size
The alternative methods of measuring the size of your laptop are as follows.
- Looking at the Model number of the laptop
- Measuring the laptop size online
- Checking the backside of the laptop.
Measuring the Laptop Size Online
Several online websites are in place to measure the size of laptops. Beware, though, as some websites are not legit and can pose false measurements.
To access the list of websites you can use to measure the size of your laptop, open Google and type "measure my laptop online." This command will display several websites to choose from.
Checking the Backside of the Laptop
The backside of your laptop has some helpful information about the laptop, including the laptop size. When you view its backside, you'll see a sticker with information about the laptop's specs written on it. Scan through to find the laptop's screen size.
Besides the laptop's backside, you can also get information about the laptop's size from the user manual. Read the manual carefully to identify what size your laptop is.
Looking at the Model Number of the Laptop
Determining the laptop size using the model number is the most straightforward alternative to measuring the laptop's size.
The procedure for getting the model number of your laptop is as follows.
- Open your laptop PC.
- Go to the start button and key in system information from the search box.
- Select the system information when the search results are displayed.
- The System Information tab will open and display the laptop's model number.
- Copy the model number to your clipboard.
- Proceed to Google and search the model number of your laptop.
- This function will direct you to the Manufacturer's website.
- Look at this website to identify the laptop's size.
Is the Laptop’s Screen Size Same to Screen Resolution?
No, screen size is different from screen resolution, yet many people confuse them. The laptop screen size is the dimensions of your laptop, eliminating the bezels. On the other hand, the screen resolution is the gross sum of vertical and horizontal pixels of the laptop's display.
You can't change the laptop's size; it's fixed, whereas, with the screen resolution, you can alter it irrespective of the screen size.
If you want to change your monitor's screen resolution, use the steps given below.
- Open the search tab of your laptop.
- Key in display setting and search.
- When the search result displays, look for display resolution.
- You can modify the screen resolution from there.
How Do You Measure the Screen Size of a Laptop?
You can measure your monitor's screen size by measuring the diagonal length, just as we did with the laptop size. Measuring the horizontal length gives a wrong estimate.
How Can I Know the Laptop Size Without Measuring?
You can determine the laptop size without measuring by looking at the laptop's Model number. Alternatively, you can do so by finding its size online or by checking the backside of the laptop.