If you are reading this, probably you are looking for the extra privacy and security needed while browsing online. Chrome proxy settings will make your browsing a lot more secure and private. Furthermore, click here to learn more about Firefox proxy set up, too.
While standing in between you and the internet, they hide your IP making it hard for individuals and companies to track you. For more details about Chrome proxy settings, read the entire article.
What is Google Chrome?
Google chrome is a freeware, secure browser that was developed by Google Inc. It is fast and simple. There are some features that make Google chrome stand from Internet Explorer and other browsers out there such as;
- Auto-synchronization across all your devices
- Google Chrome has built-in apps for fast content access
- Allows a wide variety of extensions that you can install
- Google Chrome allows you to customize even the advanced features and many more
What is a Proxy Server?
What is the use of a Proxy Server?
A proxy server is basically designed to conceal your identity from other web servers as you connect with them. They work at the application layer, to help you browse anonymously and prevent third parties from tracking you. Check out our top picks when it comes to the best proxy server, which can be pretty easy to set up.
When browsing or shopping online, your computer connects to remote servers to send and receive information. If you use a proxy server, it acts as a middle man when connecting to the internet. Some of the best proxy services are RSocks Proxy or Storm Proxies. Also, take a look at the Luminati Proxy review.
Your computer or application connects to the Google Chrome proxy server which relays your requests to the target server. Before relying on your request, it will hide a lot of identifying info such as;
- Your original IP address
- Where the request came from
- Operating system information and more
Use a Proxy Server for;
As a middleman between you and the internet; it will help you to browse the internet with an anonymous IP address by hiding your real one. This means no one will know where you are located.
Access Restricted Content
Proxies also allow you to visit websites that have restricted content. It provides a secure way to unlock websites. You can access your favorite content such as games, movies, or even music.
Filter Data Requests
Just like a network firewall, you can set up Google Chrome proxies within network settings to filter data requests. That means proxies can act as a firewall and internet filter to provide a high level of data privacy.
Google Chrome Proxies can also be used as a load balancer because it distributes the load between different requests to your different servers; reverse proxies are more popular with load balancing characteristics.
Proxies act as a caching machine
They can speed up data transfer through cached web acceleration whereby a proxy server stores a copy of content that you had previously accessed. Proxies can store data and send it to your computer without the need to go through the main server.
Block Malicious People
Proxies allow you to set up network settings and rules that can block traffic or connections based on specific criteria. This will stop malicious people from attacking your devices. As we all know, cybercriminals have one major goal in mind; steal data.
Protect your sensitive data by configuring your Chrome proxy settings.
Other Benefits of using a Proxy Server
Apart from concealing your original identity as you access the internet, it also offers a lot more benefits including;
- Balance internet traffic to prevent crashes
- Enforce network policies that prevent, block dangerous or inappropriate websites
There’re many public proxy servers that you can connect to but first know their IP address. Here is the most common type proxy server you can choose;
- Open proxies also known as public proxy
- Forward proxy server
- Reverse proxy server
I wouldn’t recommend using an open or public proxy server, because it is not fully secured. This is because your data might not be safe from whoever controls it.
Keep in mind also, that some system proxy servers don’t encrypt network traffic. If you’re more concerned about your sensitive data, make sure it provides full encryption.
How to Configure Proxy Settings on Chrome?
Google Chrome allows you to set up a proxy server connection from its in-built settings. For proxy configuration, follow these steps;
1.Go to the chrome settings menu
2.Click on the Show advanced settings link
4.In the system’s section, click on “open your computers proxy settings”
5.The internet properties window will open
6.Select the connections tab and move down to local area network settings (LAN settings)
7.Click on the local area network settings (LAN settings)
8.The Local area network (LAN settings) window configurations should open
9.In most cases, it will be set to “automatically detect settings” but to ensure the use of the manual configuration, you need to disable automatic configuration.
10. Turn on the “use a proxy server” toggle/ check box which will automatically activate the system proxy settings text fields.
11. In the address text field, enter the IP of your chrome proxy server
12. Also, enter your proxy server’s port number in the Port field
13. Finally, click the save button so that your settings can be applied.
How to Configure Proxy Server in Windows 10
It’s easy for Windows 10 users to manually set up a connection. Follow the steps below to get started.
1. Click on the windows icon on the bottom left corner of your computer
2. Click on settings to open it
3. Inside the setting panel, click on network and internet
4. In the network and internet panel, move down and click change proxy settings tab
5. The proxy setup panel will give you two options; one for automatic proxy setup and another for manual proxy setup.
6. If you want to use the automatic proxy setup, toggle on the “use setup script” option. Then, inside the “script address” field enter your URL such as HTTP:// www.unblockmyweb.com
7. Click on Save to apply changes.
8. If you want to use the manual proxy setup, scroll down and toggle on “use a proxy server” then enter your proxy server’s IP in the address field and its port number in the port field.
9. Click on save to apply the change.
You can test your proxy server settings by running a (tracert) command in your computer’s CMD admin prompt. It should identify your proxy server’s IP address instead of your computer’s real IP.
How do I Change Proxy Settings in Chrome?
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to change proxy settings in Chrome.
1. Open your chrome browser and go to its settings at the top right corner of your browser.
2. Click settings.
3. In the chrome settings panel, scroll down and click advanced link
4. Move to the System section
5. Click on “open your computer’s proxy settings”
6. Choose network and internet and click on proxy
7. In the proxy panel, you have two options; automatic proxy setup, and manual proxy setup. You can choose depending on your preferred proxy connection.
8. After you have set up the proxy server, click Save to keep your settings.
1. How do I bypass proxy server on Chrome?
Click Show advanced settings at the bottom of the screen. This will open the Windows Internet Options dialog box. Navigate to the Connections tab and then to the LAN Settings section. Uncheck the option labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN in the Proxy server settings, then click OK.
2. How does reverse proxy work?
A reverse proxy accepts a client's request, transmits it to an appropriate server, and then provides the server's response to the client. A load balancer distributes incoming client requests among a collection of servers, with each server responding to the appropriate client with its response.
3. Is reverse proxy secure?
Yes, it's secure. A reverse proxy can be used to protect an organization's many web servers against web application vulnerabilities. Additionally, the reverse proxy provides other benefits such as server concealment and enhanced performance.
4. How do I find my proxy hostname?
Conduct a search and open Internet Options, then click the Connections tab. By selecting LAN Settings, you can view your proxy server's IP address and further information about your current network configuration.
5. What does configure proxy mean?
By configuring a proxy, you are allowing an intermediary to act as a bridge between your web browser and another computer, referred to as a server. To connect to the proxy server, you must configure your computer's proxy settings. Your internet service provider (ISP) operates servers - computers that are used to transfer data between computers.